Since its 1971 launch at Disney’s Polynesian Resort, Tonga Toast–a cinnamon-sugared chunk of deep-fried, banana-stuffed breakfast bliss–has never left its spot among the top-three sellers. … Served with strawberry sauce and choice of breakfast meat, “Tonga Toast is a “Wow!”
- Make strawberry compote: In a small skillet over medium heat, combine strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until the strawberries begin to break down and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and gently mash the compote with the back of a fork (or a potato masher).
- Slice bread into 3 to 4 very thick pieces. Use a knife to create a slit in one side of the toast, then stuff banana slices into the toast. Repeat with remaining bread pieces and bananas.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Dunk each stuffed sliced into the batter mixture, tossing to coat all sides.
- Pour a 1/4” of vegetable oil into skillet and heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the battered bread and cook until crispy and golden all over, about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain toast briefly on a wire rack. Pour cinnamon sugar into a large shallow bowl, then gently shake off excess oil from warm toast and toss in cinnamon sugar.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries and serve with strawberry compote and maple syrup.